Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Jesus At The Center

Every once in a while you hear a song that makes a soul connection with the core of your being, evoking strong emotions while stirring something deep within your spirit.  Recently, I had a spiritually transforming experience at a conference I attended, where I encountered such a song that I just can't get out of my mind!  The words are simple, yet powerful.  The melody is beautiful and the message is clear. 


Jesus at the center of it all
Jesus at the center of it all
From beginning to the end
It will always be, it's always been You Jesus
Jesus


What does it mean for Jesus to be at the center of it all?  

The lyrics of the song further expresses a passionate desire and declaration that unpacks this meaning - "Jesus be the center of my life" and "Jesus be the center of Your church."


Jesus be the center of my life
Jesus be the center of my life
From beginning to the end
It will always be, it's always been You Jesus
Jesus


When I sing Jesus be the center of my life I am desiring to give up complete control of my will, my desires and my passions, surrendering everything I am to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.  In other words, 'it is no longer I who lives for myself, but Christ who lives in me' and through me for the glory of God.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." (Galatians 2:20)


So Jesus be the center of Your church
Jesus be the center of Your church
And every knee will bow
And every tongue shall confess You Jesus, Jesus
Say His name, Jesus, Jesus...


When I sing Jesus be the center of Your church I am declaring Jesus to be the foundation of His church, submitting everything I have to build up the body of Christ.  Jesus is the Rock upon which He builds His church and calls the people of God to be 'united together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.'

"...built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone." (Ephesians 2:20)


Nothing else matters, nothing in this world will do
Jesus You're the center, everything revolves around You
Jesus You
Nothing else matters, nothing in this world will do
Jesus You're the center, everything revolves around You
Jesus You

From my heart to the Heavens
Jesus be the center
It's all about You
Yes it's all about You


Composed by Adam Ranney, Israel Houghton, Micah Massey
Copyright Columbia/Integrity Music


 
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utTvlqjAhtM


The deep connection I have made with this song testifies to an experience I had during worship where I surrendered myself completely to Jesus through a liberating encounter with Holy Spirit.  I can truly say with conviction that Jesus is indeed at the center of it all!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting thoughts mate. I was reading through something Barth wrote in Church Dogmatics 1.1: something like 'we surrender our lordship to the Lordship of Christ'. He was talking about proclamation in preaching (verbal) and sacrament (visible), being careful to not view proclamation as preaching and sacrament. He is making a clean distinction in order to not 'imprison the canon'. I think that here, you have hit a few important points about how Barth's theology of the Free God's decisive act (purus actus), as THE benevolent sovereign, could be better understood and applied.

    ReplyDelete