Saturday, April 6, 2013

Dear Mr Kim Jong-un

Dear Mr. Kim Jong-un,

As a global citizen I am deeply grieved when the basic human rights of people are violated, regardless their culture, creed or class.  I acknowledge that western nations have not always exercised fair and just citizenship, but I appeal to you to join me in respecting our common humanity to end the cycle of injustice.

As a follower of Jesus Christ I am ashamed when religion is used as a tool to oppress and abuse people, from all expressions of faith.  I acknowledge that the western church has not always demonstrated the love of God we profess, but I appeal to you to join me in exercising a common humility and submit to the Creator of all humankind.

As a husband and father I am concerned about the safety of my family living in a world faced with the constant threat of terrorism and war.  I acknowledge that western governments have contributed to global unrest, but I appeal to you to join me in creating a common haven of peace and security for our families and future generations to come.

You and I share a mantle of leadership that grants us great influence over the people for whom we are responsible.  You lead a nation, I lead a local church, but the decisions we make impact lives.  May we share the prayer of King Solomon who understood the need for wisdom and discernment in carrying out his role as a leader: “Now, Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties.  Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number.  So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong.  For who is able to govern this great people of yours?”

Yours in the hope of a better future...

No comments:

Post a Comment